- 2 Potatoes
- 1 Onion
- 1 Parsnip
- 2 Carrots
- 1 Swede
- Any veg you have in your cupboard
- Mince / quorn/ leftover meat/ fresh meat as desired
- ¼ the mushrooms if using
- Peel and cut veg into medium chunks in a pan and cover with water ½ teaspoon of salt and bring to a gentle boil and simmer for 10 minutes
- Take your cold leftover meat dice into bite size pieces or if using mince / Quorn or other fresh/ raw meat fry it in a pan in a little oil until cooked through chicken turned white/ red meat changed colour
- Add meat to pan or into an oven proof dish, put veg on top and cover using the veg water.
- Simmer in a crook pot for hours or in a low oven overnight
- Take out helping/s needed, serve with bread and put the rest back in the oven to carry on cooking.
Sweet & Sour Casserole Ingredients
Turn the leftovers of your above casserole into a tasty sweet and sour version in just a few minutes!
1/3 cup red wine vinegar 4 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon ketchup 1 teaspoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons corn starch mixed with 4 teaspoons water
Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Mix the vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup, and soy sauce together and bring to a boil in a pan
- Mix together the cornstarch and water, add to the other ingredients and stir to thicken
- Pour sauce over the casserole and stir through
- Add one sliced red pepper at this stage and one small tin of garden peas or ½ a mug of frozen peas
- Leave to cook.
- Place in a pan (oven proof is best ) One mug full of rice to two mugs of water 1 pinch of salt - this will feed two to three people
- Bring to the boil put lid fast simmer until water is gone and rice is cooked
Zing up any leftover sweet and sour casserole with this easy tip!
Add two teaspoons of curry powder to the left over sauce.
Stir well leave to cook serve with rice or whatever you fancy.